Friday 4 January 2013

5 Best Movies of 2012


2012 was an amazing year for movies. There were loads of huge releases including Marvel's cinematic universe coming together in the form of The Avengers, the end of Christopher Nolan's Batman trilogy with The Dark Knight Rises and the triumphant return of James Bond in the record-breaking Skyfall. But what were our top picks of 2012? And what was our movie of the year? Here's our Top 5 best movies, as well as what we believe to be the worst movie of the year...

Argo was a film that wasn't on my radar. I hadn't heard much about it until mere weeks until its release, but the more I heard the more my interest started to perk up. And rightly so, because Argo was a knockout! Ben Affleck continues to redeem himself after that God-awful Daredevil film, with a tense drama about a fake sci-fi film being used as a way to rescue hostages from a grizzly fate. Not only were great performances given by the entire cast, but the film also delivered a few surprisingly funny comedy moments to let you unwind a little before you're hit with another tense sequence. A film that you definitely shouldn't miss!

The Dark Knight Rises is a film that has ranked a lot higher on some other people's "Best Of" lists, but for me, this is about right. The Dark Knight Rises was a great film, if I didn't think so it wouldn't be on this list, but I did have a few problems with it which stopped it from ranking as high as it has on other people's lists. If you want to know more about what I thought then read my review here. Anyway, overall the film was a fantastic end to Christopher Nolan's epic trilogy. It ties together with the previous two films very well, and features some great fight scenes and a heap of exciting moments. It didn't quite beat The Dark Knight for me but it can consider itself easily the second best Batman movie of all time.

After I watched The Devil Inside I was certain that there was no horror film out there that I'd really like. How wrong I was. The Cabin in the Woods takes everything you know about the stereotypical slasher flick and turns it on its head. Its clever, funny, and a must-see whether you like horror or not. This may be helped by the likeable and talented young cast - which includes Chris Hemsworth AKA Thor!

I'll be honest, before this year I had never seen a James Bond film. Despite their popularity I had managed to avoid the series completely in my time on this Earth. That all changed this year though, and I'm glad it did because Skyfall was amazing! It brought together a very talented cast of actors that included Daniel Craig, Judi Dench, and Ralph Fiennes and crafted a story that was exciting, packed with heart-stopping moments but at the same time welcoming to newcomers such as myself. If you're like me and you are yet to experience a Bond film then Skyfall is the perfect jumping-on point. A brilliant film that came close to taking the top spot on this list...

Skyfall admittedly had a deeper story, as did a few films on this list, but when it comes to pure cinema fun nothing can beat The Avengers. The culmination of 5 years of universe building and a complete success in every sense of the word (getting good reviews as well as making $1.5 billion). The Avengers brought incredible visual effects, great fight scenes, well-timed comedy and more when it was released this Summer making it the super-hero film for all the family to enjoy. Plus, seeing all these heroes interact after having their own separate films is a fairly new concept and was undeniably awesome to see. The Avengers has done a great job as the first crossover movie of its kind, as well as making everyone excited for Marvel's future plans. It's for all this and more that The Avengers is TEN's Movie of the Year 2012!


Well that's our Top 5, be sure to let us know what you thought and tell us your favourite movies of the year in the comments below!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.