Saturday 29 October 2011

Comic Mini-Reviews: October 2011


This month we've got reviews of Daredevil #5, The Punisher #4, and a load of The New 52 Issue 2's including Justice League, Batman, The Flash and many more!
We also have a new 100-point scoring system starting from 1.0 (for the really awful stuff), and ending with 10.0 (for the great stuff).

As we did last month, we have divided the round-up into three sections: The Great Ones, The OK Ones, and The Bad Ones:

The Great Ones

The Punisher #4

Last month's issue featured a gripping fight between The Punisher and The Vulture which I loved, but it did mean that the story stood still for an issue to make room for the battle. This month though the story comes back and is better than ever.
We get a look into The Punisher's origins and past, as well as the aftermath of his fight with The Vulture. Meanwhile the art and writing remains some of the best I've seen in a while, as well as the best cover this series has had yet.
While I'm still not completely sure where the current story is heading, you can bet I'll be there for the ride.
This series is unmissable.

9.6/10 - Comic of the Month


Justice League #2

This month sees the Justice League really start to take shape. Don't get me wrong, the group are still arguing and Wonder Woman is yet to be seen, but we do see an element of teamwork that was practically unseen in the last issue.
This issue picks up where the last left off with Batman and Green Lantern vs. an angry Superman only this issue The Flash comes into the mix to make things a bit more chaotic.
The Darkseid plot begins to thicken too, and we get our first look at Cyborg's Dad who's a big shot at S.T.A.R.S Labs where things start kicking off by the end of the issue, but I won't spoil it for you.
The writing continues to be quite strong along with some impressive art which I like a lot that makes the story feel more like a blockbuster movie.
In the end though with more character's, a more substantial story and an exciting ending, Justice League #2 beats the first issue hands down and is a great read.

9.3/10

Batgirl #2

Batgirl #2 picks up where the last issue left off, and while it's not quite as good as the first issue, it's still a great read.
We get more of an insight into the past of the main villain "Mirror" although I am still a little confused as to what his Mirror can do, but I'm sure that will be explained in greater detail soon.
The art is great, detailed stuff and the writing still manages to keep Batgirl a three-dimensional character with an interesting personality.
The ending to this issue is the icing on the cake, (no spoilers, don't worry!), but it is a great cliffhanger and I'm looking forward to next issue to find out what happens.

8.5/10


The Flash #2

The Flash #2 is a book with great art. I said it last month and I'll say it again - the art really suits the character well and has a great style. The story on the other hand is beginning to get a bit confusing. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the story and the climax of this issue was a great cliffhanger which hooked me in for next month's book - it's just that the story is still largely unexplained and seems to go off on a tangent this month as The Flash works on improving his abilities.
This is done really well though, and the art really triumph's with some great scenes and clever writing. It focuses on The Flash trying to improve his speed, by using another part of his brain that was previously un-used. I'll leave it at that, because it's something you have to read yourself rather than get told about.
All you really need to know is that it makes this book an exciting, entertaining read which shouldn't be missed. I just hope that more is revealed about the story next issue.

8.5/10

Batwoman #2

I wasn't a huge fan of the first issue of Batwoman, but I'm glad I stuck with it as this issue is miles better than the first.
As the mysteriously sinister Cameron Chase, (who only had a couple of lines in #1), comes to Gotham the hunt for Batwoman begins. Not to mention more murdered children at the hands of the strange weeping woman - who also becomes easier to get excited about than she was last issue.
The art in this book is something I can't make my mind up on, sometimes it looks great, other times not so much - but all in all it's pretty good.
Batwoman #2 is a lot better than #1, but it's still not perfect. The story is easier to understand now, but still a bit confusing and the art is a little bit odd-looking at times. But generally, it's a great book with a story with a lot of potential - I'll be back next month!

8.0/10

The OK Ones

Aquaman #2

After such a strong entry into the New 52 with #1 of this series, I couldn't help but feel slightly disappointed with this second entry. There's more action, and the art remains great - but it's the story that seems a but weak. Fish people from the bottom of the sea, come to the surface and eat a few people - that's practically it.
But, to be fair the action is good, and there's a strong chance we'll find out more about who exactly these fish people are next month, so I'll keep an open-mind.
Aquaman isn't a bad book, I think I just made the mistake of thinking it would be as good as #1, and it just wasn't - but it's not bad and still worth your time.

7.5/10


Daredevil #5

Daredevil is a book with an OK story and an OK art style. But that was the problem: It was all OK, but none of it really blew me away. The story consists of Matt Murdock (Daredevil), now teaching his clients to defend themselves in court due to so much suspicion that he is Daredevil. He finds a client who was fired for overhearing a conversation between two Latverians (a dodgy thing to do).
Soon Murdock discovers that this is a lot bigger than just a chat between two Latverians.
Like I said, it's an OK story, but I failed to get too excited for it.
The art is also not something I like. It just looks a bit old-fashioned. A bit nostalgic? Something like that. This doesn't ruin the book, and it'll be fine for those who have no problem with older-styled comics - but I'm a bit of a sucker for flashy art so...
Daredevil is a fine book, that has it's ups and downs, but I just can't get excited for it and I'm not sure it'll make the cut next month.

7.0/10


Batman #2

Batman #2 is in a similar situation as Daredevil. None of it is bad, but none of it is that great either. The story I found to be a bit dull, with the cliffhanger of #1 turning out to be nothing, and the current story being something that I just can't get interested in.
I know I can't speak for everyone, and if your loving the current story then you might as well give this one a go. But I just can't get on board with it, and #2 is definitely not as good as the first.
I'm also not a fan of the art which looks a little too square-jawed, although saying that, it's not terrible.
I guess I just expected more from such a big-time DC character.
I wouldn't recommend Batman to anyone except long-term fans.

6.2/10


The Bad Ones


Batwing #2

I wasn't a huge fan of #1 of Batwing, but I decided to give it another chance. Wrong decision. Batwing #2 is just tedious to read. It's boring, with the majority of the issue seeing Batwing in bed recovering from the stab he received last issue.
Plus, the writing just seems a bit wooden. None of the characters have much of a personality, Batwing included. This issue I realised that I like the concept and appearance of the character more than the character himself. This could be because the one good thing about this book is the art. It's very detailed, and very life-like - so there's something.
But no, I won't be going back to Batwing - I gave it a chance and it failed again. And to think, I ditched Catwoman for this rubbish! *Sad Face*

3.5/10

So those are your mini-reviews this month guys, come back next month for more!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.